Monday, August 13, 2007

Wedding Jewelry

Gold is a must have in any weddings of any race. Normally, the bride's mother will give their precious daughter a set of gold which includes the necklace, earrings, bangles and ring that will be brought over to the groom's house. This is to show status. Its like telling your in laws that 'Don't mess with me.' It also means "Hey, I'm 'miss thousand gold' and don't expect me to do the house chores for you." If you're from a well off family, parents will normally give their daughter gold bars for the sake of showing off 'emergency' or 'rainy days'. In case, your husband gone nuts and sell you off to the brothel, at least you have the money reload your handphone to call a cab or seek for help. It also comes handy when you find your husband cheating on you, at least you can hire a professional doctor to cut off his 'most precious' during his sleep without him knowing. As simple as that!

On the topic of gold, I received a call from Mummy II this afternoon.

"Melie~ I don't know which pattern you like....do you want to come and choose urself or I choose for you?"
"Heh? Choose what? "
"I'm at the gold shop, they called me up this morning saying that there's New Arrival. So, I came and checked out lor...So when are you free?
"Aunty, so early aaa?? Many months to go ler..."
"New Arrival maa..."
"Aunty you choose for me lor....Don't worry, I'll like it."
"Okay lar, I'll buy the heart shape one...."
"Okay....."

Such a big difference btween 2 mums. My mum is those typical last minute person. And Mummy II plans well ahead. 5 months to the wedding, she had already bought me a set of wedding jewelry (Necklace and Bracelet) . Heart shape summore!!! Can you see how desperate loving is she. Because it doesnt come with earrings, Mummy II had sent it to the Goldsmith to make a pair of earrings of the same pattern. *beaming*

Hmm...I don't know what my mum will give me. But I'm pretty sure that I will not leave the house 'empty'. Can you imagine I'll be decorated with lotsa gold that made it impossible for me to walk. HEH!! Dream ON! Blame it on the hot weather that had cook my brain!

Talking bout gold. Do you think its appropriate for daughter or daughter in law to buy gold for their mum and mum in law on the wedding day? Hm...I'm thinking of buying one for each of them. Any pantang larang on this?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wah..so happy for you that you have such a cute Mother in law..!! Very blessed indeed!

-cherry

ZMM said...

actually I tell you hor.. I prefer the cash!

I have so many of those gold tao mm gold eh jewelry (I assume you are Hakka) which I don't like. I wear white gold daily.. so the gold tao mm gold eh jewelry are just in the safe..

I'm now thinking of trading in to get cash tim. :P

Marie said...

Cherry, its bcoz my MIL haven't reached menopause age yet. I don't know whether she'll be that cute after 2 yrs. And lets hope that she will....I'm scared!

ZMM: Gold tao mm gold?? WAH!! I love bling bling. Cash aa? I thought it will be placed at the 4 corners of my red suitcase.

White gold? Mummy II very smart. I think she bought a mixed color gold, white and yellow gold. Very stylo rite?