Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Anak Malaysia

I used to hate school bcoz they made me learn the 3 languages. Malay because its the National language. English because its the International language. And Chinese because my ancestors are from the 'Sugar Mountain'. And it ain't easy for a young kid like me back then. But as I grew older, I thank the Government and my parents for forcing giving me the opportunity.

Not only do I speak the 3 languages, I can even speak Hakka and Cantonese that I'm really proud of. And sometimes I pity those who can't understand and can't speak any out of the 3 languages.

This is what happened if you don't understand Malay.....

"Any plans for Merdeka?"
"Huh? Mou Det Gah!(Hakka) Choi....You want to be alone for the rest of your life meh?"
(Translation: 'Mou Det Gah' same as 'Mou Tak Gah' in Canto means 'can't-find-a-husband-to-get-married-to')

This is what happened if you don't understand English......

".....(hakka) bilibala bla bla bla ....e-x-a-m-p-l-e....."
"Ma kai sam fu?" (Hakka)
(Translation: 'Ma Kai' is 'What' and 'sam fu' means blouse and pants same as 'sum foo' in Canto)

And this is what happened if you don't understand Chinese.....

"Do you have 'lao shu da ma yi' (老鼠大蚂蚁 mouse big ant) mp3?"
"What song is that...I only have 'lao shu ai da mi' (老鼠爱大米 mouse love big grain) "

So by hook or by crook, I'll make sure my kids learn the 3 languages before they turn into someone's laughing stock.

2 comments:

Jacelyn Chew said...

ha! funny translation u have!! btw, u look so pretty in your photos.... :)

Anonymous said...

Agree! We can even understand indonesian!! I realised how important malay is when I travel to indonesia. Best that we even know a few dialects. :)

cherry