Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Tips on getting cheap and beautiful gowns

Yay! Our wedding pics are ready. Thanks to Alfred, he is such a nice person. He even gave us extra discount. THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH! As promised.....here are the gowns that I bought from Guang Zhou.

27th Nite: Gown #1 Champagne color with sequins and pearls to fulfill my princess dream. Check out Anoti's outfit. He's wearing a Barong Tagalog bought from Philippines. Since it was my parents nite, we make it special for them. *note: Mummy is a Chinese Filipino.
27th Nite: Gown # 2 Pink Butterflies. Nothing fancy bout it bought it because it was dirt cheap. For only RM70, cheaper than a top from MNG, what am I waiting for. The good thing bout the gown was very light and dandy, that made moving from tables to tables are like a breeze.28th Morning: Gown # 3, Ivory Wedding Gown. As I've mentioned here, it was the pearls, the quality and the workmanship that grabbed my attention. RM150 with veil, can-can and hand gloves, what ya' waiting for. Check out my bridesmaids dress. I bought all 3 at RM60 each if I'm not mistaken. Good bargain!28th Nite: Gown # 4, Creamy Bronzy Layered Gown that Anoti picked. Hav to respect my man, since he thinks that it wud be nice, why not give it a try right. I feel like Giselle from 'Enchanted', again another princessy gown. Just can't get enough of it.28th Nite : Gown # 5, Turquoise Blue. This is the most expensive gown.(Based on all my gowns k...) It cost me RMB450 which is equivalent to RM225? It was the color that I think was unique. This gown was definitely made for me. The fit was perfect, no alteration needed to be made. The only inconvenience of this gown was its super duper heavy weight. If it wasn't for the wedding, I will not even consider to put it on and walk for 10 steps. It may not seem fascinating to you in pictures, but I can assure you that it was fabulous under the spot lights. Check out Mummy II's purple gown, I bought it for her for only RMB 338. Another great deal right? I bought a gown for my Mummy too but it was a lil' too small for her. I ended up wasting RMB600!(I think I'll wear it at my sister's wedding which will be on 2013?) Can u imagine I spend more on my Mummy and Mummy II's gowns but not mine.

All these beautiful gowns are bought from Jiang Nan Da Dao a.k.a. Wedding Street, Guang Zhou for less than RM1k. Don't be fooled by some of the 'dodgy' wedding boutiques, or alley wedding shops, these are where the 'gems' are hidden, exclusive gowns just for ur taste. Trust me, I've been there and done that. You can also custom made your gown, they'll give you anything you want from swarovski crystals, pearls, lace, ribbons, just name it. And I can bet that their prices are unbeatable. The gowns you see at those 'dodgy' shops are more or less the same as the ones you see in all the bridal house in Malaysia.

Dirt cheap huh? In Guang Zhou Wedding street, not only do u need great taste, you need to equip urself with great bargaining skills too. Let me tell u a secret how I got it so cheap. Not all my gowns were cheap, I have to admit I paid a hefty sum on the 1st gown I bought just bcoz I was too 'honest'. Why honest?Bcoz I told them "I AM" searching for a gown. And bcoz of I-AM, those smart Chinese will tell u sky rising price that u have to slash into half. eg. RMB900 do the maths and bargain for 450. Get the drift?

But later I learned that its wise not to tell them your purpose. Tell them u're here for 'business purpose'(chinese : 办货, canto : ban foh). And be amazed what they can offer you. This was how I got my RM70 gown bcoz they saw me holding big 'China LV Bag' (Blue Red Vertical Stripes) and thought that I'm a bridal boutique taukeh-niong searching for gowns. *beams from ear to ear*

A bit of acting and bargaining skill, you're set to Guang Zhou. Good Luck and Happy Searching! Make sure you show me ur gowns if u happen to get them from Guang Zhou.


18 comments:

Chinneeq said...

Marie, not only u have beauty, but also a smart brain....good tips la....how come i din think of this idea?

Marie said...

Acting maa....very easy wan!! heheehe...

Anonymous said...

Ur gowns are very beautiful. Will get mine at Guangzhou as well. Btw, how much have u paid ur photographer?

Anonymous said...

Hi marie, can u tell me where is the location for wedding registration?or do you have the contact number for that office?is it like movie, we really need to have an early appointment?roughly how long before the exact date of wedding i need to make the apointment? ^.^ thanks for your attention :)

Marie said...

You'll be amazed if I tell u that my photographer charged us RM1100 for a 2 days event. Package includes:
- express DVD photo highlights to be shown during dinner.
- 200 copies of photos
- 500+ of soft copies
- 30 thankew photos to be given to friends and family

Wedding registration venue, you can find it at those Hakka Association, Teo Chew Association, Hai Nan Association, Foo Chow Association, or you could go to the K.K. Chinese Chamber of Commerce & Industry to hav your ROM (Registration of Marriage) IF you are not planning to have it in a church.

Or else you could go to the JPN office next to UMS for registration. Yes! Its crucial to set a date for ROM.

Anonymous said...

Wow... How did u find the photographer with such an amazing price and some more 2 days event???Need his contact number.pls? haha... as if like i'm getting married tomolo... haha...

Clare

mumbojumbo said...

what a good bargain you got for your dresses eh! and you look great.

Sue said...

Hi! First time her...You make a beautiful bride...lovely gowns! I like your blog, will be back..cheers!

Val said...

Hey babe, fantastic gowns. ;)

Marie said...

dinah, I practise my bargaining skill at the pasar all the time.

Sue, thanks for dropping by. cheers!!

Val dear....tenkew verry much!!

Angeleyes said...

Aiyoh.... you are so pretty ler... just like a princess... your wedding really look like a fairy tale lah! how I wish I can do it all over again! neh~

jazzmint said...

wah very pretty leh u...and OMG that is bl**** cheap!!! Sorry for cursing, but it's so so cheap!! And very nice leh esp the ivory colour ones kekeke..

ok shall tell my fren ask her see ur blog contact u :P

Sunshine said...

jazzmint gave me the url to your site

WOW, now i'm really feeling like going to guangzhou to shop for my wedding too!!

did they have the chinese kua also?

Marie said...

Angeleyes : Its the make up that did all the magic. You can hav ur anniversary and wear nice gowns with darrius as ur ring bearer.

Jazzmint: its really cheap there. I was so surprised. Will definitely recommend ALL my friends to get there.

Sunshine: Thanks for dropping by. I would highly recommend u to visit GZ if u hav the time. Yes...they do hav kuas...but i personally think HK kuas are nicer.

BB _____ Fishx said...

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi marie

can you write in mandarin words of the road that you bought your wedding gown? I'm going over to guangzhou myself early march and I intend to buy my wedding dress there too as I"m getting married end of this year.

Hence... it will be very helpful for me to tell the taxi driver where I'm going. Thank you.

Meiling said...

Marie, I salute you for being such a smart bride (and generous)! I'm a bride-to-be and I came across your blog which is so informative. My fiance has been to Jiangnan Da Dao last April to do some 'wedding' shopping on my behalf (I was not able to take leave then!) Though he got some good deals, they weren't as good as yours! If only I've found your blog earlier with the buying and bargaining tips! hehehe! Anyway, thanks so much for sharing!

Unknown said...

Hi Marie,
Was wondering.. with all those gowns you got, how did you manage to bring it all back?? Did they vacuum pack the gowns or you had them all in cargo?? i am so going to hunt for a gown there myself..just waiting for the right time.. :)