Sunday, March 23, 2008

Silence Day?

Veneration of the Cross @ St. Simon, Likas (21/3/08)

All these years, I never understand nor did I ever pay attention to Holy Week. To me Good Friday is another public holiday(yes, Good Friday is a Public Holiday in Sabah) that I can wake up anytime in the day, hav light breakfast (no meat), go to church 2hrs before mass in order to get ourselves a place to sit, and spend the 2 hours kaypo-ing, dinner will be very simple with only veges and 'dou shi yu' (can food: black bean fish). Then comes Saturday where my parents will attend mass and I will give excuses just to stay home. Easter Sunday, a very much awaited day bcoz my family will usually throw a big feast. That's my interpretation of Holy week b4 getting married.

Holy Saturday- The Service of Light @ Mary Immaculate Church, Bukit Padang

But this year it was really different. Anoti and I went to church 2 hrs before mass, by then the church was already FULL. Anoti and I had no choice but to split in order to get a seat. I was lucky then, I found a seat which was near to the altar. Bcoz of my strategic location, I actually pay full attention through out the whole mass. It was that moment, I learned that Bali practices Silence Day - Nyepi which I think people like me should practice. Its a day where we shunned ourselves from the electronic world. 4 hours of pure silence. No handphone, no laptop, no TV, no radio, no air-cond, no fan and so on....4 hours of pure meditation and reflection. Can I survive the 4 hours (10am-2pm) of silence? It makes me wonder....but i will definitely give it a try next Good Friday.

Happy Easter Folks!







3 comments:

Irene said...

Do you have to go really early for seats on Sundays too?

mom2ashley said...

that looks like st simon's chapel...we go there for xmas and got you about the 2hrs before mass arrival at church! when we go back to KK for xmas, we are always at church 2 hrs before! so so exhausting! Luckily st simon is fully air conditioned though!

Marie said...

Irene, only big occasions like Good Friday, Christmas Eve, Easter.... For Sunday, we'll normally be there 20 mins before mass. St. Simon Church is the ONLY air conditioned catholic church in Kota Kinabalu, that's why its wise to go early.

Dinah, that's KK culture. 2 hrs before mass. If we cant make it that early, we'll bring our OWN chairs instead, no second thoughts!